Sarasota County Ordinance No. 2019-024 Effective 9/25/2019
Accessory Dwelling Unit Zoning Change
The revised Sarasota County Accessory dwelling unit (ADU) zoning code highlights are provided below.
- The ADU is allowed in areas zoned Residential Estate. DeSoto Acres is zoned Residential Estate One (RE-1 – one house per two acres).
- One ADU is permitted per lot.
- The maximum floor area is 750 sq ft.
- The ADU may include a kitchen.
- The ADU shall not count for density purposes.
- The height shall not exceed the height of the principal structure.
- The architectural style, roof style, building materials, exterior appearance and finish shall have a similar appearance to the principal structure.
- More details are in the full ordinance.
To read the full ordinance, please click on this link: O2019-024SOS-Accessory-Dwelling-Unit